Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Tangible Respect

Kneeling during the National Anthem in the NFL has morphed from a protest of racial injustice into a politicized and angry debate over the flag being a symbol of respect for our nation’s veterans. I am saddened that the social message has gotten lost, yet at the same time thankful for this opportunity to promote honest and tangible respect for our veterans.


 Let me start by saying that I stand for the playing of the National Anthem wherever I am when I hear it played. I am an avid sports fan and watch most of the games on television. When the song begins, I stand with my hand over my heart. I also accept that those who choose to exercise their Constitutional right by kneeling are not necessarily disrespecting veterans. In fact, many veterans also take a knee. I applaud them for again showing us what true courage looks like. I respect them and I show my respect for them, not by standing alone in my living room with my hand over my heart, but by trying to make a positive difference in their lives. 


One of every fourteen people in this country is a veteran. If you are that one, thank you. Next time you’re driving through the city and see a homeless person and mumble, “get a job,” or “I’m not giving him money for drugs,” remember, if you see fourteen homeless people, it is likely that one is a veteran. Sometimes the worst wounds can’t be seen. In fact, right here in Phoenix there is a place called the Mana House (https://www.manahouseaz.org/) where fifty homeless veterans reside. I show my respect by making donations once or twice a month to “my guys.” If you are interested in showing actual respect for these great men, please visit the website or message me and I will be happy to collect your donation. I recommend making the trip yourself; however, as interacting with these men is unforgettable. 

There are so many other organizations supporting veterans that if you go online you can find a group to help either nationally or locally. The Wounded Warrior Project is an excellent group as is the Pat Tillman Foundation. If you go to these sites with the expectation of reading more about the Anthem debate, you will be disappointed as these organizations exist to assist veterans with their lives. They know why they served and don’t want to engage in political debate. In fact, Pat Tillman’s widow echoed that sentiment (http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blogs-local/pat-tillman-s-widow-reacts-to-national-anthem-protests-president-trump-s-tweet).

It seems that as of late most everyone has an opinion on what it means to respect our veterans. In my opinion, it means to serve them as they served us. 

1 comment:

  1. As has been reported elsewhere (like here: https://undertheradar.military.com/2016/09/kaepernick-meets-veteran-nate-boyer-kneels-anthem/) Kaepernick first protested by sitting down during the anthem. After meeting with Nate Boyer, an Army vet become an NFL player, he changed this to kneeling down since Boyer told Kaep that this was more respectful of those who serve.

    ReplyDelete